Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Marvelous Man

Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig by Jonathan Eig left a considerable imprint on me.  It was one of the more powerful books that I have read of late, and left me completely awed by the strength, honor, and selflessness of one of the greatest players of all time.  From a letter written by Gehrig for Liberty magazine concerning his opinion of his life at 30:

"Maybe we're missing something, but I can't help thinking that people who see life through a train window must be missing something too.  They're going too fast to get anything but a fleeting glimpse of what it's all about.

I'm not rich in the accepted sense of the word, but what millionaire can buy my serentity?  What king can live exactly as he wishes, with an obligation to nothing except his conscience?  In fact, I have yet to meet the man who can look backward over his shoulder as he passes his thirtieth birthday and say, as I do:

It's all been worth the while."

Thank you for an incredible account of Lou's life, Mr. Eig.


No comments:

Post a Comment