Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mark Twain and 'Lost,' and a graduation

The best story in television is over.  It ended, for the audience, in much the same way it began: with all of us discussing and sharing the exhilarating mystery of the experience.  I'll not dive into a massive dissection of the finale of 'Lost,' nor discuss where it ranks among other notable shows, as I have missed many of the 'other' stories that have received such high praise over the years.  I've never had HBO, so I'm excluded from the original airings of 'The Sopranos,' 'Six Feet Under,' 'Deadwood,' and the like.  Nor did I watch 'The Shield,' or the most current award winners, 'Mad Men,' and 'Breaking Bad.'

So yes, I suppose my view is a bit narrow and naturally biased, but as the Man in Black suggested, in my own space and time I've made my own rules.

The 'Lost' finale was perfect for me.  The conclusion was an extremely appropriate resolution for the characters involved, deeply emotional, and beautifully acted.  More importantly, the themes that developed throughout the past six years paid off in a very powerful, mentally engaging two and a half hours.  I'll not discredit those who claim it fell short and left too many questions unanswered, or moved too far from the show's more mythological and paranormal chapters.  During the six year telling of this story, there were certainly some lackluster episodes, certain characters that weren't completely developed, and certain ideas that weren't explored as exhaustively as some would have preferred.  Many had a different reading and appreciation of the finale than I, and that is completely fine.  They appreciated the journey, but perhaps disagreed with the final destination.

However, those who feel the entire 'Lost' experience ruined due to short-sighted writing are complete and utter fools.  Several sites I visited for my weekly 'Lost' discussions overflowed with the reactionary loudmouths who proclaimed rubbish such as this:

"...they really wrote themselves into a corner..."
"...they had no idea what they were doing or where they were going..."
"...this is evidence they made things up as they went..."
"...simply lazy writing..."

Know this, oh nations of people poring over these words:  Any of you who happened to be invested members of 'Lost' and agree with any of the above, get the hell off my lawn.  You're a damned fool, and you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Writers Cuse and Lidelof had a story they wanted to tell because it was important to them.  They didn't scrap things together week to week, drawing what connections they could as they went.  This story, as illustrated by the finale, is one that was extremely personal to them, and one they felt would be important to many others as well.  For me, the show has had a tremendous impact on my heart and mind, and will continue to do so for many, many years.  I am saddened to see the story close, but incredibly thankful to have been a part of the audience for this beautiful tale.

And, for those concerned with the unanswered questions, I'll offer this:


"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that the savage has because we know how it is made.  We have lost as much as we gained by prying into that..."

-Mark Twain

==========

My son finished his first year of preschool today, and there were celebrations and food and cheering.

I watched him smile and quietly eat his lunch, interact with his friends, play in the grass and summer winds beneath the trees, and I saw it happen.  He is thinking longer.  Growing.  Aging.  Moving fluidly away from a dependence on us and becoming his own.  I watched this happen today as I held onto my youngest and felt the parental sadness of time swallowing things.  He sat back down on the plastic blue chair with his preschool diploma and smiled out at us.  The smile was big and reassuring.

As much as he grows and learns, it said, he'll always be my little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment