Thursday, September 10, 2009

Some Rules

The progression and development of this blog has been admittedly slothful quite simply because it remains very...open-ended. So, both for the benefit of the author and reader, I'll occasionally put down some rules for the content and enjoyment of this space:

1.) Author Harold Bloom refers to "The Anxiety of Influence" as the struggle that poets have in becoming Timeless, for he suggests that there are no new ideas. Great was the poet who could, in fact, create something truly original, but many are left struggling with a new way to interpret an older, established idea.

Thoughts or comments that I have may appear here, but please understand that they may not always be strictly mine. I'll cite the source whenever possible, but some things may appear that resulted from massive amounts of media that are ever-circling around and through our heads. Or from a conversation I had when I was ten about Metroid or Thundercats. If, on the off chance that I think I have discovered a completely different Idea or Perspective, you'll know about it. Everything will be highlighted, italicized, and in thick, bold print.

2.) You will never see a post begin with something along the lines of: "You'll Never Guess What Happened To Me Today!" I don't want this to be a diary of any sort. A big, sharp pile of oddly random thoughts and discussions, sure. But you'll not hear about how not having any milk for my morning oatmeal or Cinnamon Toast Crunch has completely ruined my day.

3.) I've become a baseball statistics fiend. So, occasionally, there will be some of that going on here.

4.) My brother once laid down what he thought to be a very important social contract regarding good behavior with strangers, which I shall be following. "You should never talk about Religion, Politics, or UFOs." He may have been all of nine at the time, but even then, a sage.  So, I'll steer clear of that...unless it's something really important. I can't promise that should the Pope ever be abducted by aliens wearing Jimmy Carter masks that I wouldn't mention something about it, even in passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment